FIFA World Cup Gallery Display

[Studio Project 2]
Genre: 3D Open World
Platform: PC
Language: C++
Made With: OpenGL


Fire Particle System with 3D Models loaded

My second Studio Project.

The main aim of this project is to fully utilise OpenGL and its graphics pipeline, by showcasing a 3D world revolving a “FIFA World Cup” theme.

I decided to generate a 3D world with galleries showcasing items related to FIFA.

I wasn’t very confident with my skills with the 3D side of OpenGL when I started this project, but I’m very glad and proud of the fact that I was able to pull through with this at the end of the day.

I consider this project to be my “breakthrough” project, since I have learnt alot via constant researching.

For example, a simple stairs collision detection was hard for me since gravity was one thing that I was unfamiliar with. The jerking stairs movement was also something I had took some time to figure out.

Lighting and Normals were another problem I had since a lot of my models were looking very unnatural with the lighting in the scene. I had to replace multiple light sources across the gallery to achieve a more natural look. Small lights were also placed throughout the environment to prevent the entire gallery to be pitch dark upon turning off the lights (via the Menu).

The models were also really big in size and I had to think of algorithms to not render them when the player is out of range (E.g. Do not render models in level 2 when player is at level 1, vice versa). I also had to re-scale alot of Models in Maya just to prevent the lag problem.

All in all, I learned alot via this project, and all the trouble was worth the hassle.

Lighting, particle system, stairs movement algorithm, alpha blending, 3D Model Loading, TGA Texture Loading, Maya 3D Texturing, Animations (both 3D and 2D) and UI Managing are a few examples of things I’ve learned via this project.

Another factor that contributed to the outcome of this project is simply my course mates. Studio Project 2 was a very competitive time for all of us, and we were all trying to out do each other. Naturally, I'd go out of my ways to better myself too. So here it is guys, a lil credits for y'all :]


Main Menu Screen


First look of 3D Environment upon entry


Stairs Movement Algorithm


Displaying an animated GIF using OpenGL


Level 2 of the Gallery with full view of Models


View of Level 1 from second level


In-game menu screen, Lighting has been turned Off


Level 1 with lighting off

No comments:

Post a Comment